NATIONAL INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR THE BIODIVERSITY OF GREECE
MAIN CONTRIBUTION OF LIFE EL-BIOS PROJECT
The LIFE EL-BIOS project aims to create the first National Information System for the Biodiversity of Greece, which will facilitate monitoring, conservation and management of biodiversity and the country’s response to reporting obligations to the European Union.
The system is expected to be the main national tool for Greece’s biodiversity that will be operated and used by N.E.C.C.A. and the 24 Protected Area Management Units
Basic functions of the system:
- Collection, consolidation/aggregation and a comprehensive visualization of available information and data on biodiversity for all categories/groups of species and habitat types (of community and national interest).
Indicative data categories:
- populationsizes of species,
- status and trends,
- protection status,
- threats and pressures.
Indicative data sources:
- descriptive and spatial information,
- Earth Observation data,
- data from remote
- Utilization of existing research findings and visualization of biodiversity monitoring results.
- Providing classified access to data on Greece’s biodiversity.
- Facilitate the coordination of all stakeholders for monitoring biodiversity.
The National Information System for the Biodiversity of Greece is expected to be available during the 2nd quarter of 2024
MAIN CONTRIBUTION OF THE NATIONAL INFORMATION SYSTEM
- Providing access to all available biodiversity data of the country to biodiversity-related experts.
- Reduce time and human resources needed to fulfil the reporting obligations for the Nature Directives and other national obligations.
- Reduce the administrative burden of environmental authorization procedures and the uncertainty that may govern opinions by competent bodies.
- Facilitate the work of scientists in relation to the exploration of biodiversity data in order to:
- Assess the conservation status of species and habitat types over time, and trend calculations (population data or area data),
- Identify gaps in biodiversity data,
- Identify, plan, and prioritize appropriate conservation actions and measures,
- Accelerate decision-making regarding biodiversity issues.